On May 10, 1930, on the campus of Howard University, in Washington DC, the National Pan-Hellenic Council was formed as a permanent organization with the following charter members: Omega Psi Phi and Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternities, and Alpha Kappa Alpha, Delta Sigma Theta and Zeta Phi Beta Sororities. The purpose and mission of the organization in 1930 was “Unanimity of thought and action as far as possible in the conduct of Greek letter collegiate fraternities and sororities, and to consider problems of mutual interest to its member organizations.” In 1931, Alpha Phi Alpha and Phi Beta Sigma Fraternities joined the Council. Early in 1937, the organization was incorporated under the laws of the State of Illinois and became known as The National Pan-Hellenic Council, Incorporated.
Soon thereafter, Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority joined The National Pan-Hellenic Council, Incorporated. Iota Phi Theta Fraternity completed the list of member organizations in 1997. The National Pan-Hellenic Council, Inc. consists of 9 predominately African American Greek letter organizations known as the Divine 9.
Leave a Reply.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the 2020 West Virginia Black Heritage Festival has been canceled but that doesn't mean we're taking a break!